Roman born (1929) Roberto Capucci studied at the Accademia delle Belle Arti in Rome. He worked for Emilio Schuberth in his early years and at the age of 20 five of Capucci's designs were set to be in a fashion show in Florence but the other couturiers refused to allow his creations in the show as they would cast a shadow on thier less extravagant work. Capucci's gowns drew so much attention due to this refusal that they sold immediately. From then on Capucci was Rome's "boy wonder". His style was sculptural, his sensibilites were all about color, texture and form.
In 1950 he opened his own house. In 1956 he was awarded the Medal of Gold of Venice. Soon after he was given the name "Givenchy of Rome". In 1962, he opened his couture salon in Paris in the rue Cambon. In 1968, he returned to Rome. His fashion shows were conducted in silence, he refused to ever duplicate a gown, and a client wishing to own a Capucci would have to buy it from the collection show, if she could fit into it. He designed up through the early 1990s. The house of Cappucci has been recently re-opened with fresh, cutting edge designer Bernhard Willhelm . The most famous museums in the world have shown this maestro's body of work: Rome's Galleria di Arte Moderna, Florence's Galleria del Costume at Palazzo Pitti, New York's Guggenheim Museum, London's Victoria and Albert Museum and Vienna's Schonbrunn Castle. Many of these exhibits featured more than one hundred examples of his clothing creations as well as many illustrations.