Samuel and Gertrude Goldworm started Goldworm Sportswear in New York City in the late 1920s. They produced mainly utilitarian, work-a-day knits, simple and attractive designs. In 1953 Samuel passed and their son Robert took over, bringing a younger, more updated look to the lines. He also brought the production of the garments to Italy in order to achieve better quality and to add a more fashionable style. In 1957 Goldworm won the Coty Award, in addition to various other awards for design in fashion. When daughter Beverly joined the company in the 1960s the classic Goldworm print dress was born, providing bold, artistic expressions, in the tradition of Pucci, but with a much younger look, in longer lasting, machine washable knits.